In alternating Summer and Winter formats, the Canada Games brings thousands of top young athletes from across the country together to represent their province in a multi-sport competition. Squash is one of the sports featured at the Canada Winter Games.
This season, Squash BC will be sending a team of four Boys and four Girls to represent Squash BC at the 2023 Canada Winter Games, taking place in Charlottetown, PEI from February 18 to 26, 2023. At the event, our athletes will compete in both individual and team competitions. Our team will be selected based on the 2023 Canada Winter Games Selection Policy.
Latest Canada Winter Games News & Updates
- 2023 Canada Winter Games Team Selection – November 30, 2022
- 2023 Canada Winter Games Selected & Invited Athletes Announcement – November 17, 2022
- Squash BC Approves 2023 Canada Winter Games Selection Policy – September 22nd, 2022
- Giselle Delgado and Ben Uliana Named BC Canada Winter Games Squash Coaches – May 1st, 2022
2023 Canada Winter Games – Team Selection
View the full 2023 Canada Winter Games Selection Policy
Register for the 2023 Canada Winter Games Coach, Player & Parent Information Session – October 6, 2022 at 6 PM
Submit your Declaration of Interest to Participate in the 2023 Canada Winter Games by October 12, 2022 at 11:59 PM.
Selection Policy Overview & Principles
The 2023 Canada Winter Games Selection Policy guides the decision-making process of selecting the BC Squash Team for the 2023 Canada Winter Games. The policy was developed by Squash BC Staff, our Provincial High Performance Coach, and our Canada Winter Games Coaches. Now approved by the Squash BC Board of Directors, it replaces any previous Canada Winter Games policies held by Squash BC.
The policy relies on several key data points to select the team:
- Athlete Eligibility: All athletes considered must be eligible to participate in the 2023 Canada Winter Games and the team must satisfy the overall age and gender requirements dictated by the Games.
- Club Locker Ratings: Now with at least a full season of data available for our athletes, we are confident in utilizing Club Locker Ratings as a preliminary determining factor for team selections and cut points. This policy allows athletes with a significant ratings gap above their peers to be directly selected to the team. As well, only athletes within a reasonable ratings range will be invited to compete in a selection event for remaining spots.
- Selection Event Results: To best allow eligible athletes to earn their spot on the team, we believe holding and utilizing results from a selection event is the fairest way to select the remaining spots on the team (after direct selections are complete).
The Team BC selection process consists of 6 key steps in determining who is selected to the team, for a full, detailed, and transparent breakdown of each step please refer to the full 2023 Canada Winter Games Selection Policy. The process steps are as follows (in order):
- Confirm Athlete Eligibility: CWG Eligibility, Team BC Eligibility, Age Eligibility, Active Squash BC Member, Interest Declaration, Competes at 2022 BC Junior Open
- Award Direct Selections: to athletes with significant Club Locker Ratings gap above peers (at least 0.5 ratings points above top athlete outside of top 2 (U17) or top 4 (Overall) for Boys and Girls teams). Similar path exists to award Direct Selections to team spares.
- Invite Athletes to Selection Event: Policy aims to invite 8 athletes (including 4 U17s) of each gender to participate in a Selection Event. Direct Selections and Players within small Club Locker Ratings range of last invited athlete (within 0.05 ratings points) impact this number.
- Hold Selection Event & Select Team: The Selection Event’s format will have the goal of producing a finishing placement ranking of athletes who competed. Selection Event finishing placement ranking determines selection of remaining team spots (after Direct Selections).
- Select Team Spares: Selection Event finishing placement ranking determines selection of team spares.
- Field Appeals: Using Pan-Canadian Appeals Policies (if required)
View the full 2023 Canada Winter Games Selection Policy
2023 Canada Winter Games Selection Criteria Information Session
2023 Canada Winter Games Important Dates
|Declaration of Interest to Participate||October 12, 2022 @ 11:59 PM|
|2022 BC Junior Open||October 21-23, 2022|
|Club Locker Ratings Lock Date||November 16, 2022|
|Athlete Eligibility and Rankings Posted on Squash BC Website||November 17, 2022|
|Intention to Compete at Selection Event||November 18, 2022 @ 2:00 PM|
|Team Selection Event||November 22-27, 2022|
|Team Roster Announced||December 1, 2022|
|Travel and Compete at the 2023 Canada Winter Games||February 18-25, 2022|
2023 Canada Winter Games Team BC Coaches
Giselle Delgado has been playing at the international level since 2013 and played on the PSA tour for 4 years where she reached her highest World Ranking of 116. Giselle has a Masters degree in Biomechanics and a Bachelors in Kinesiology from Western University where she played on the varsity team and began her journey as a squash player. She now coaches on the Island, where she is focusing on growing the sport, growing women and girl’s squash, and her own coaching development. She is excited to share the knowledge and lessons she has accumulated along the way as a player and as a coach to help TeamBC bring home some hardware!
Benjamin Uliana began playing squash in Kingston Ontario over three decades ago. His career as a coach started at McGill University, 1994-1998, where he completed his Bachelor of Science degree while he captained and coached the McGill Team to a Bronze Medal in the University championships. In 2004 Benjamin Uliana graduated from the National Coaching Institute of BC with his Level IV Coaching Diploma. He moved forward as a Provincial Coach to he represented BC as team coach in 2003 (Girls gold medal team) and 2015 (Girls Individual gold medal, Girls Silver Team Medal, and Boys Individual Bronze) and National team Coach for our Juniors at the Panamerican Junior Squash Championships. Benjamin is honoured to be selected to return to the Canada Winter Games as a Team BC Coach and looks forward to supporting BC athletes in another Canada Winter Games cycle.
2023 Canada Winter Games Task Force
- Squash BC Provincial Coach – Richard Yendell
- Squash BC Executive Director – Colin Latchford
- Squash BC Board Member – Cindy Longley
- Community Member – Greg Bunyan
- Additional Community & Board Member – Colin Brown
2023 Canada Winter Games Information
Dates of Competition: February 18 to 25, 2023
Location of Competition: Eastlink Centre, Charlottetown, PEI
Overseen by the Canada Games Council, the Canada Games are held once every two years, alternating between winter and summer, and represent the highest level of national competition for up and coming Canadian athletes. The Games have been hosted in every province at least once since their inception in Quebec City during Canada’s Centennial in 1967, and feature events for able-bodied athletes as well as athletes with physical and intellectual disabilities. The Games contribute to Canada’s sport development system as well as leave a lasting legacy of sport facilities, community pride and national unity.
Contact & Additional Resources
Questions related to the Canada Winter Games in relation to the team selection criteria or team leading up to the games can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.