Dear Squash Community,
Squash BC has been evaluating the news on the latest advisories on COVID-19, specifically from the Public Health Authority of Canada (PHAC), the Canadian Sport Institute (CSI), and Squash Canada, and its impact on sporting events.
Please be advised that the Squash BC Board of Directors have voted unanimously to postpone its upcoming BC Mixed Doubles Championship later this month and very strongly recommends that host clubs for the remaining sanctioned tournaments in the current squash season be postponed or cancelled until further notice. The Squash BC Board strongly recommends the singles and doubles league organizations in BC to postpone or cancel any playoff events where there are large gatherings of people.
Squash BC continues to monitor the situation with the COVID-19 virus. We realize this decision may be disappointing to players and the clubs involved. Squash BC values its players, coaches, officials, and volunteers and are putting our squash community’s health and safety first. We will collaborate with clubs and leagues to support postponed events.
As per the PHAC, some reminders to protect yourself and prevent spread of illness include:
– Frequent hand washing with soap and water (for at least 20 seconds)
– Avoid touching your face, eyes, mouth with unwashed hands
– Covering both your nose and mouth when coughing. Try to cough or sneeze in to your arm, away from others, or into disposable tissue or in the crease of your elbow. Wash your hands immediately afterwards.
– Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness
– Avoid handshakes and hugs
– If you feel sick or start to experience common symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath) please contact your doctor’s office.
We thank you for your patience and understanding. Stay healthy!